Xbox Gamescom Briefing Summary – Halo Wars 2, Scalebound, Crackdown 3 and more
In case you weren’t awake to watch the Xbox Gamescom press briefing, we’ve compiled all the news from the event in one handy place!
- ReCore, Gears 4 and Sea of Theives are confirmed to be released in 2016.
- Remedy’s third-person time-bending shooter Quantum Break has remodelled it’s playable protagonist Jack Joyce in the likeness of Lord of the Rings actor Shawn Ashmore. Remedy’s Sam Lake showed a gameplay trailer and some of the live-action footage that features throughout the game, starring Dominic Monaghan, Aiden Gillen and Lance Reddick. The game is officially released on April 6 2016.
- The new Crackdown is officially titled Crackdown 3. Described as ‘a sandbox of mayhem and destruction featuring an open-world campaign,’ the game is being developed by original Crackdown creators at Reagent Games. Crackdown 3 features 4-player co-op and environmental destruction features heavily into gameplay, assisted by the power of the Xbox Cloud. Crackdown is set for release in 2016, with a multiplayer beta beforehand.
- Platinum’s Hideki Kamiya debuted gameplay from the studio’s Xbox exclusive Scalebound. Described as the biggest endeavour Platinum Games’ has ever undertaken, players fight as main character Drew alongside their dragon Thuban with ranged and melee combat. At the end of the demo, Drew and his dragon fought together against another large beast. Scalebound also includes 4-player co-op and is targeting a 2016 release.
- The conference took a short break from games to discuss upcoming software and hardware debuts. Xbox One backward compatibility shall launch in November and is free for all users. All future Xbox 360 Games With Gold titles shall be compatible on Xbox One. DVR functionality for free-to-air TV was also announced for Europe. A new Xbox One chat pad shall also be released in November.
- Killer Instinct is getting a third season in March 2016, and Rash from Battletoads joined the roster of characters from today.
- Castlevania creator Koji Igarashi unveiled a new character from the kickstarter success Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. His team are bringing the game to Xbox One very soon.
- Indie games took the spotlight in an ID@XBox segment of the conference. Ron Gilbert’s new upcoming adventure game Thimbleweed Park, Cities: Skylines, Train Simulator, Ark: Survival Evolved, Sheltered, We Happy Few and Worms WMD are coming to Xbox One.
- Gigantic and Fable Legends shall be cross-buy and allow cross play-between Xbox One and Windows 10 computers.
- Minecraft studio Mojang are bringing their next title Cobalt exclusively to Xbox One and PC in October 2015.
- Dark Souls 3 was shown in action with a brand new gameplay trailer.
- Homefront The Revolution received a CGI and gameplay trailer, with the promise of 4-player co-op and exclusive Xbox One content. The title is also aiming for a 2016 release.
- A new trailer for Just Cause 3 debuted alongside news that all Xbox One copies will include a bonus Xbox 360 digital version of Just Cause 2.
- We saw a new trailer for Rainbow Six Siege.
- 343 Industries took to the stage, showing a new multiplayer trailer for Halo 5 Guardians encompassing both the large-scale Warzone and Arena modes. A large part of the presentation focused on the eSports side of the first-person shooter.
- A new Halo themed Special Edition Xbox One 1TB console shall be available later in the year, including a digital copy of Halo 5 Guardians. Unique Master Chief and Spartan Locke styled Xbox One controllers shall also be available to purchase separately.
- Forza 6‘s new physics and wet weather features was shown in a trailer. Turn 10 announced 4 new tracks and competitive 24-player multiplayer on dedicated servers.
- The audience was treated to extended gameplay demo of Xbox One holiday exclusive Rise of the Tomb Raider, showing Lara’s combat skills.
- The final and most unexpected announcement from the event was the debut of a cinematic trailer for Halo Wars 2, coming to Xbox One and Windows 10. The game is being developed by Total War alumni Creative Assembly in conjunction with 343 Industries, and is set for release in 2016.
Battletoads Bloodstained Ritual of the Night Cobalt crackdown Crackdown 3 Dark Souls 3 Fable Forza 6 gamescom Gears of War halo Halo 5 Guardians Halo Wars 2 Homefront The Revolution just cause 3 Killer Instinct minecraft Platinum Games quantum break Rainbow Six Siege recore Remedy rise of the tomb raider scalebound Sea of Theives xbox xbox 360 xbox one
While not scouring the galaxy, Anthony is Editor and PR machine of Rocket Chainsaw.
More articles by Anthony »
- Dark Souls 3
- Forza 6
- Gears of War
- Halo 5 Guardians
- Halo Wars 2
- Homefront The Revolution
- just cause 3
- Killer Instinct
- Platinum Games
- quantum break
- Rainbow Six Siege
- rise of the tomb raider
- xbox 360
- xbox one