Surprise Rocket League Update Has Community Questioning Why (Updated)
Logging in to Steam this morning, we were hit with a 1.1 GB surprise Rocket League update. There is no news anywhere from Psyonix except for a somewhat cryptic tweet mentioning the ‘small client-side update’, with more details to follow shortly.
Check out the official tweet from the Rocket League Twitter account below:
We have a small client-side update going live this afternoon on all platforms! More details to follow shortly.
— Rocket League (@RocketLeague) January 9, 2017
After a bit of probing, it appears the somewhat critical patch may be due to a ball trajectory cheat which was starting to make the rounds within the game. If players are able to see precisely where the ball is heading then this would obviously give them a huge advantage over non-cheating players.
Rocket League has been a huge success story for Psyonix, a company previously only really known for their minor contributions to franchises like Mass Effect, XCOM, Gears of War and Unreal Tournament. Rocket League itself has earnt critical acclaim and has a huge player base, yet at its core is a fairly simplistic pick-up-and-play title, albeit hard to master.
The surprise Rocket League update went live across all three platforms earlier today, and is approximately 1.7 GB on consoles. We’ll update this post when we get confirmation from Psyonix regarding any other information about the patch.
Edit: We just got official patch notes sent through, and there is nothing mentioning the ball trajectory exploit, but there are a few bug fixes:
Surprise Rocket League update Patch Notes V1.27:
CASUAL PLAYLISTS AND ROCKET LAB ARENAS
- Added Utopia Coliseum (Snowy) into the Snow Day Playlist
- An experimental goal-post collision fix has been deployed
- Removed the “GO!” counter in Custom Training
- ‘Pawn Swapping’ in Unranked online matches should now work as originally intended
- Fixed an issue where players were stuck in the Replay Menu after deleting certain replays
- Fixed an issue where selecting ‘Free Play’ forced the Loading Screen
- Fixed an issue where Emoji entry on Xbox One was not displaying in some cases
- UI scale setting in options should now save on PlayStation 4
- Fix for rank label updating for division text and changing colors