FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Attention: those who plan to watch E3 conferences live

<<

A13x

Posts plenty

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Attention: those who plan to watch E3 conferences live

Though all it's being used for is voice command and as an I/O device for controlling what you see.

I don't recall people getting up in arms about Sat Nav and Bluetooth speaker companies adding voice command features which passively listen for you to say a pre-determined line to get them to respond to you.
<<

boredandlazy

Posts too much

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:33 pm

A13x wrote:Region Locked
The same as the Xbox 360 was? So long as I can continue to import games from the UK, and I don't see them going to the effort of making an ANZ only region, I don't see this to be a problem personally.

I hope you're right, but we'll see.
If they're region locking everything else down to the bone, why wouldn't they do it for games as well?
Giving up trophies cold turkey... Wish me luck.
<<

theory

Forum Obsessed

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:37 pm

A13x wrote:I don't recall people getting up in arms about Sat Nav and Bluetooth speaker companies adding voice command features which passively listen for you to say a pre-determined line to get them to respond to you.

^ This is a completely different discussion to gamers being annoyed at Microsoft for making Kinect mandatory.
Annuit cœptis
<<

mikezilla2

Posts too much

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Shambrook wrote:So after that list I'm trying to get excited at the idea of buying a ps4.... but I can't.

There is nothing I want on it. Other then better business practices as a gaming console it has nothing to offer me other then multiplatform titles.

fact of the matter is theres alot of mutli plats to be had on ether side fact of the matter is benz im not a day one guy but having said that with regards to being excited well i got a PS2 in 2002 i think it was and at the time i wasint ready for the ps2 had to offer as to me all the ips were green to me i knew nothing about them then i play tested gta3 ( was testing games that had been bufferd) and yea about all i had was gta and none of the franchies from the ps1 era in that regard carried over i mean i still hadnt played mgs 1 or 2 at that time , as time went on i brought more and more games as i started to get a feel for what they were like , tekken 4 , etc and based on that about 3 months after - some time in 07 i brought a PS3 konwning that gta 4 and MGS4 were coming at some point but beyond that once again all i could relie on was the fact that i had enjoyed more then 200 games combiand from both of the ps1 and the PS2 with that in mind i felt i could trust that by at least the middle of the consoles life cyle there would be enough games to keep me intrested in the brand that is they would bring in games that i like , and they did deliver in the form of mutli plats lol sonys made some big mastkies this gen i think there biggest was thinking that this gen would play out like the last but things have changed alot but the PS4 is no diffrent to last gen in terms of games by that i mean on launch there is almost no games that i want( about 5) so its about the same i guess the fact that i also happen to like the XMB and sonys software aroppch to things nice and simple ( that peice of shit store update dosnt count) i also happen to like the brand and there products and like mipac i feel that i can put my trust in them in regards to games but il say it again i am hurt by there decsion of making PS + mandatory im not happy about it - it makes perfect sense i mean they have there market reshrech - they are running dry on money and MS have been charging for there serivce to but im not at all happy about despite the fact that it is good value im still not srue what il do yet i konw im ether playing MGS5 on windows or the PS4 so there is that but yea i could just be online less , in the case of xbox wev got gears , halo fable ? and a few rpgs/ smaller games regardless those first 3 are about all im intrested in on there platform for the most part ( cant recall the other games) in anycase

sorry for rambling but ben what would it take for you to be excited for the PS4 ? i mean do you have to have any of the consoles on lanuch day ? is it relly a nail biting descion ? can you just wait to see what games sony will have ( or worse nintendo gets with the times - wont happen) but yea can you tell the diffrnce here betwean you and i ? for me mate theres not much there right now on ether platforms i just konw that sony will have what i want ausmsing they arnt all f2p / mmos

well i wish i could have said all that in person or over a chat rather then typing all that so i wouldnt have to cut corners due to spelling

but do tell benza
<<

mipac

Forum Obsessed

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:01 pm

*INDIE GAME E3 TRAILER POST*

Hohokum:

Splice:

1001 Spikes:

Dragon Fantasy Book II:

Ibb and Obb:

Contrast:

Stick it to the Man:

Floating Cloud God Saves the Pilgrims in HD!:

Doki Doki Universe:

LUFTRAUSERS Warfront:

Men's Room Mayhem:

KickBeat:

Transistor:

Secret Ponchos:

Rays the Dead:

Octodad Dadliest Catch:

Mercenary Kings:

Don't Starve:

Oddworld: Abes Oddysee New N Tasty:

Outlast:

<<

Cyph

Ronald, Stop!

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:04 pm

theory wrote:
A13x wrote:Kinect is spying on me, recording my lifestyle and conversations
People actually believe this horseshit? Actually think about it, as in what would be involved both technically and logistically. If we assume the camera is recording both video and sound, it would need to be either streaming this at all times to the internet, or recording it and then uploading it in chunks when the console turned on. Either way this would amount to a significant increase in data upload that would be excruciatingly obvious. Now we would then require all this data to be saved somewhere, no doubt the obvious choice would be Microsoft's own Skydrive cloud servers. If for instance it was a 720p mp4 with audio, bit rate would be approx 1.5Mbps, you would be looking at 15.8GB of data per day, being uploaded and stored from every single user.
What would they do with all this data, I mean it'd have to be pretty valuable to offset all the bandwidth and storage costs on their end associated with the exercise. Oh, they'd sell it for marketing purposes. To who? Who would possibly want to sit there examining the often vacant, otherwise dreary livingspaces of millions of people who play games for a few hours every week. There would need to be thousands of employees sifting through the footage or hundreds of employees armed with object recognition, identification and detection systems, all because Lays want to know if gamers are eating competing potato chips?
There are things that could make it more practical technically, however the legality and costs of the exercise would really dampen any benefit from the studies.

Oh you can turn the Kinect off too, you could even turn the switch the Xbox off if you were really worried that teams of people will be watching you falling asleep on the couch in your own muck.

That's taking it a bit far. I think the point, at least for me, is to keep this kind of shit in check before we open the floodgates to crazy shit like government-controlled CCTV in everyone's homes. Getting people used to shit like this, slowly, means it will become natural and everyone will learn to live with it without questioning it.

They don't need video and audio to know which chips people are buying.

What theory said. It all has to start somewhere.
<<

Shambrook

Pivot-posing hot lava ninja robot sham of justice

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:10 pm

but do tell benza

I get what cha mean don't worry. (I'm hardly one to chastise someone for shitty spelling :P)

Basically at heart I'm a sega fanboy and always will be. Sonic is my boy, so in terms of supporting a company because of brand loyalty I have no horse in this race. Sony don't have my loyalty, Microsoft don't have my loyalty, Nintendo have my thinly veiled contempt.

I own all three consoles this gen though, so I'm not comming at this from a point of not knowing about the franchises Playstation have to offer, infact if I didn't own a PS3 and hadn't been dealing with their bullshit on it I'd probbably be more excited.

As far as their franchises go, Sony's franchises suck. There's no real getting around it, and I'm not just talking about what they were showing at E3. I mean yeah I'm interested to see what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica end up showing, but at the end of the day Uncharted plays like shit. It's got sloppy controlls, unfocused level design, crappy shooting and is saved by being ridiculously pretty. God of War is pretty much the same, like I enjoy the god of war games for what they do offer (Spectacle) but they play like shit. There combat is dull and repetitive and painfully simplistic. Infamous makes climbing feel like a poor mans Assassins Creed, Little Big Planet is a 2D platformer with shitty jumping etc etc. There franchises in a large part seem to focus on style over substance. So there isn't really anything in Sony's wheelhouse that gets me hard as a gamer. There's shit I want to see in a 'I want to see what kind of pretties Naughty Dog can push from the new hardware' kind of way but nothing that actually makes me go 'shit I want to play that' Hell my faviourte ps3 games were the ratchet and clank games and their next game is an xbone exclusive. And even looking back at the kind of exclusives Playstation have typically gotten in the past their games that either hold no interest for me or I actively dislike (Final Fantasy titles, MGS titles etc)

Compare that to the experience I've had playing the 360 exclusives and it's night and day. The 360 games were never as visually impressive. Halo always looked mediocre (Untill halo 4 wich is seriously a pretty game) but it plays really well Gears looked great, but were hardly the show stopping visuals that something like Killzone offered, but their co-op is some of the msot fun I've had this gen. Fable always kind of was almost great but never really reached it, but they always tried something new.
And add to that when I look at the games they've anounced, their franchises which I'm invested in. I want to know what happens to MC in Halo 5 and if he finds Cortanna, I want to play Killer Instinct again and got chills from nostaliga when the anouncer shouts CCCCOMBO BREAKER! That and I'm one of the few people who thinks the kinnect is awesome.

And I do want to get one day one (Mainly so AC 4 will be super pretty when I play it cause I'm a fucking sucker) and Killzone and fucking Driveclub are my day one options for PS exclusives?

Kind of adding on that is my absolute hatred for the PS3 UI interface, online systems and just general shittyness of it's design. Stuff that takes minutes to do on the 360 (Like clearing room to download a new game) can take up to half an hour on hte ps3 just thanks to all the fucking around on it. The playstation controller is a shittily designed piece of crap and now their shoehorning a touch screen in that no one has ever asked for or thought was a good idea.

So yeah, to get me excited for the PS3 they'd have to basically come out with a bunch of new exclusive IP's that look like more then style over substance (I'm interested in that 1888 game but so far we haven't seen any gameplay) Show me a bunch of games that look fun. Were was there answer to shit like Sunset overdrive? Or Titan Drop or anything like that? Those games had me excited to actually play, rather then typical Sony stuff wich gets you excited to see.
<<

EatChildren

Staff Writer. Anti-Valve.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:27 pm

TitanFall will almost assuredly end up on the PS4 at some point down the line. I'm confident it's a timed exclusive. But yeah, I mean, that's exactly how I feel about the PS4 and Sony's E3 conference. And also why I actually liked Microsoft's presser quite a bit more. Sony showed very little video game that made me go "fuck yes PS4", and seemed more focused on talking about partnerships, company direction, and hardware features. Most of that was excellent, mind you, but end of the day I only wanted to see one thing going into the Microsoft/Sony/EA/Ubisoft press events - next gen games. That's why I was watching. This year I wanted to see games that weren't muddy cross-gen projects, nor current gen exclusives, instead games built from the ground up for next generation RAM/GPU/CPU ceilings. And Microsoft put more effort into that than Sony did.

As someone on my Facebook said, Microsoft had the better conference for the far shittier system. And I think that's pretty disappointing given how much weight Sony has behind the PS4 hardware over Microsoft.

But, you know, end of the day I'm not getting either of them at launch. A vast majority of what I'm looking forward to is coming to my platform of choice, PC, and I didn't buy a GTX 670 for no reason. I expect next gen to be even more focused on including PC in the multi-platform party, giving me less incentive to pick up either of the consoles. Unless there's some big, ground breaking exclusive early on that I can't get anywhere else (Quantum Break comes bloody close) I don't see any reason to get the Xbone or PS4 early when I have a gaming computer. I'll do what I did this gen - wait a few years, then get one to fill the gaps.

Besides, I already spent my money ~8 months ago on the gigantic paper weight that is the Wii U.
<<

Cyph

Ronald, Stop!

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Floating Cloud God Saves the Pilgrims in HD! = Cloudmaster from the master system
LUFTRAUSERS Warfront looks insane, love it :)

And everyone needs to play Don't Starve.
<<

WarAdept

Posts plenty

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:36 pm

EatChildren wrote:
Besides, I already spent my money ~8 months ago on the gigantic paper weight that is the Wii U.

I still (want to) believe it can pull a 3DS and just spam games at us after a year or so. Until then, wah.

I'll be upgrading my PC and investing whatever new MMO/hat simulator sucks me in again I guess.
<<

mikezilla2

Posts too much

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 pm

i get it now for alot of it its what i throught in short your not a fan of lot of sonys desgin descions or there content were as im the oppeste in terms of brand loyalty well they seem to have screwd everyone else but me ( if you discount PS+) when we are talking LBP ( never played it) god of war has gotten a bit stale for me GOW-AC was disspointing but the online is pretty rad just wish more players were on i also sort of dislike FF but like MGS not happy with everything they do but like it as whole its francshie i can honstliy say i grew up on that and syphon fitler sort of like you and sonic but at the same time these are all shooters even ratchet not the biggest platformer fan so i never got in to it at first i couldnt stand how slow infamous was but later on it grew on me and its the game spider man should have been back to shooters tho weres the varreity man ? so far all iv metioned is shooters to becaseu thats what sticks in my head but theres a pile of over 190 PS3 games here that iv played more then once and there not all shooters at least at glance by and large gears / halo /AC milked its a bit hard to sort of relly get in to them as a franchise becasue of that and in gears case its an xbox title i guess me liking sonys style and you not liking it isnt helping matters ?

and exciting games what about desntiy ? or those indy games ? titen fall should be coming to PS3 one day ( what i heard) but the other factor i guess is i dont feel i have to have any of the consoles , you still miss sega ? what can be done tho man whats a brand /ip that already exisits that can/ could come in to play that would change your feelings on this ? ( it cant be a sonic "remake done right") that wont happen , ass creed is brown and bland to me but il start playing them soon , i never played killer instinct which has been dead for a long time so im sort of at a loss there , halo 5 wait for the PC relase ? heh heh .

still if you want to chat about this at length over skype or somthing let me konw drop me a line :)
<<

EatChildren

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:40 pm

At the very least, The Wonderful 101 (aka GOTY) comes out in a couple of months, and Donkey Kong will be awesome because Retro are gods. And next year is Bayonetta 2, Smash, and Kart.

Otherwise...eeeeuuuuggghhhh.

Grapevine says ZombiU2 is in early production, so I'm hoping that makes it through.
<<

mipac

Forum Obsessed

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Didn't Ubisoft just announce they are scaling back Wii-U production? Wouldn't get hopes up for an exclusive from them. At least Babbys First 3D Platformer is coming later this year from Nintendo.
<<

EatChildren

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm

They did. Then said they're not. Then they are. Then they're not. What they settled on is that Wii U development is cheap so they're not totally out. I know a ZombiU2 is at the very least in prototyping. Whether or not it gets finished or exclusive remains to be seen. If Ubi wanted to be cheap they could easily pull a phoned in sequel that mostly retreads the old ideas with new level layouts.

Kind of like what Nintendo is doing.
<<

EatChildren

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Oh, and if anybody missed it, David Wise has been contracted to score Retro's new DKC. So yay.
<<

mipac

Forum Obsessed

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Killzone: Shadow Fall gameplay demo. Looks to be a pretty drastic switch from previous Killzone games. Much wider colour spectrum, open level design where you choose the order to go for objectives and it would seem that stealth is a viable option.

<<

mikezilla2

Posts too much

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:16 pm

"The Order 1886 - a third person action adventure, with the story at the heart of the game, want to give a real 'filmic' experience"
<<

Shambrook

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:46 pm

and exciting games what about desntiy ? or those indy games ? titen fall should be coming to PS3 one day ( what i heard) but the other factor i guess is i dont feel i have to have any of the consoles ,

Honestly, sony don't have any franchises that allready exist that they could bring to get me excited.
Destiny is a timed exclusive and did nothing for me, the indie games are either allready available on pc, or timed exclusive (The one that I'm really hyped for is Mercenary Kings wich I already have a full version paid for for steam through the kickstarter)

Maybe if they got a full AC game or Prince of Persia as an exclusive, but there is no chance of that really happening. And if we're talking about possible exclusive licences that MS could bring out (Since we're doing that for Sony) They've got hte entire kinect line up like Diabloical Pitch, Gunstringer, Powered Up Heroes etc, then rares entire back catalouge like Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark (Or god willing one day a Blast Corps sequel) They've got Crackdown wich dear god I hope we get a new one, they've got Twisted Pixels line up of games like Explosion Man, Comic Jumper, they've got 99 nights wich the second one was kind of lame but the first was awesome, and of course they've got lionheads games like Fable, or a Kinect controlled Black and White would be amazing.
<<

mipac

Forum Obsessed

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:49 pm

^Destiny isn't exclusive to PS4, it just is having a big presence at Sony press events and in return Bungie is giving the PS4 version exclusive content.
<<

Shambrook

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:52 pm

I thought they said it was atleast a timed exclusive?
<<

mipac

Forum Obsessed

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Nope, confirmed for 2014 on PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. If they did announce its a timed exclusive then that's huge news and I totally missed it.
<<

EatChildren

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:59 pm

<<

mipac

Forum Obsessed

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Sony Computer Entertainment head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida is a big Oculus Rift fan, it turns out. "We've got a couple of the development kits, and I tried it out and I love it," he told us in an interview this morning at E3 2013. Whether the PlayStation 4 will support it is another question. "No, it doesn't," Yoshida told us. Not yet, that is.

When we asked whether the company's planning on offering support in the future, he only offered a "No comment" with a big smile. The picture of the retail Oculus Rift is potentially a bit clearer now, especially given this week's addition of an HD version of the headset. We'll be sure to keep on Sony about Oculus support on the PlayStation 4 as the year goes on.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/12/playstation-4-oculus-rift/
<<

Shambrook

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:10 pm

ATB battle system in project spark
Ok that seems pretty interesting, at first I thought ti was going to just be a simple level editor kind of thing for a third person action game but it looks like you can create pretty much anything with it.
<<

LeonJ

Posts too much

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Shambrook wrote:
but do tell benza

I get what cha mean don't worry. (I'm hardly one to chastise someone for shitty spelling :P)

Basically at heart I'm a sega fanboy and always will be. Sonic is my boy, so in terms of supporting a company because of brand loyalty I have no horse in this race. Sony don't have my loyalty, Microsoft don't have my loyalty, Nintendo have my thinly veiled contempt.

I own all three consoles this gen though, so I'm not comming at this from a point of not knowing about the franchises Playstation have to offer, infact if I didn't own a PS3 and hadn't been dealing with their bullshit on it I'd probbably be more excited.

As far as their franchises go, Sony's franchises suck. There's no real getting around it, and I'm not just talking about what they were showing at E3. I mean yeah I'm interested to see what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica end up showing, but at the end of the day Uncharted plays like shit. It's got sloppy controlls, unfocused level design, crappy shooting and is saved by being ridiculously pretty. God of War is pretty much the same, like I enjoy the god of war games for what they do offer (Spectacle) but they play like shit. There combat is dull and repetitive and painfully simplistic. Infamous makes climbing feel like a poor mans Assassins Creed, Little Big Planet is a 2D platformer with shitty jumping etc etc. There franchises in a large part seem to focus on style over substance. So there isn't really anything in Sony's wheelhouse that gets me hard as a gamer. There's shit I want to see in a 'I want to see what kind of pretties Naughty Dog can push from the new hardware' kind of way but nothing that actually makes me go 'shit I want to play that' Hell my faviourte ps3 games were the ratchet and clank games and their next game is an xbone exclusive. And even looking back at the kind of exclusives Playstation have typically gotten in the past their games that either hold no interest for me or I actively dislike (Final Fantasy titles, MGS titles etc)

Compare that to the experience I've had playing the 360 exclusives and it's night and day. The 360 games were never as visually impressive. Halo always looked mediocre (Untill halo 4 wich is seriously a pretty game) but it plays really well Gears looked great, but were hardly the show stopping visuals that something like Killzone offered, but their co-op is some of the msot fun I've had this gen. Fable always kind of was almost great but never really reached it, but they always tried something new.
And add to that when I look at the games they've anounced, their franchises which I'm invested in. I want to know what happens to MC in Halo 5 and if he finds Cortanna, I want to play Killer Instinct again and got chills from nostaliga when the anouncer shouts CCCCOMBO BREAKER! That and I'm one of the few people who thinks the kinnect is awesome.

And I do want to get one day one (Mainly so AC 4 will be super pretty when I play it cause I'm a fucking sucker) and Killzone and fucking Driveclub are my day one options for PS exclusives?

Kind of adding on that is my absolute hatred for the PS3 UI interface, online systems and just general shittyness of it's design. Stuff that takes minutes to do on the 360 (Like clearing room to download a new game) can take up to half an hour on hte ps3 just thanks to all the fucking around on it. The playstation controller is a shittily designed piece of crap and now their shoehorning a touch screen in that no one has ever asked for or thought was a good idea.

So yeah, to get me excited for the PS3 they'd have to basically come out with a bunch of new exclusive IP's that look like more then style over substance (I'm interested in that 1888 game but so far we haven't seen any gameplay) Show me a bunch of games that look fun. Were was there answer to shit like Sunset overdrive? Or Titan Drop or anything like that? Those games had me excited to actually play, rather then typical Sony stuff wich gets you excited to see.

Well I'm glad somebody is on the same page as me. What you said (except I'm a Nintendo fanboy). I don't care about the M$/Sony, I'm not loyal to either (despite appearing to be pro-m$). I am Nintendo though-and-through, but that's just ingrained into my DNA. They release shit and I buy it blindly at launch. I don't care what it is, I buy it.

I do care about everything mentioned above, shitty interfaces and IPs that have substance. Sony's platform looks very impressive, their choices are excellent but they games and what they are intitally offering, is sort of dull. Xbone are doing things in the wrong way, yes; but their games and overall solution looks much better. And based on the 360/PS3, they have history to back that up.
Is Pain-sama.
PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming Discussion